I mentioned before (in my first post this year on organics) that I would touch on the subject of WHY organic food is better for you and your family. While I realize that not all of our groceries can be organic (that wouldn’t be practical – even I love my Hershey bars!) we can all strive for healthier ingredients. Buy organic where and when possible. I shop weekly at my local farmers market – buying all my family’s fruits, veggies, dairy, and meats organic. And, believe it or not, because almost all of my groceries are purchased at my local farmers market (most by local farmers) I actually don’t pay more!
Ok, so here is the WHY of it all … are you ready?
why organic food is better for you & your family:
- grown without conventional pesticides or chemical additives
- animals raised without antibiotics and growth hormones
- often helps local economy, especially when buying from local farmers market
- richer in antioxidants and nutrients
- more flavorful and brighter in color
- animal products richer in poly-unsaturated fats
- not modified genetically
Ok, so that’s all fine and dandy, but now you need to know this …
why pesticide-free is better:
conventional pesticides have been linked to …
- fertility problems in men
- fetal abnormalities
- chronic fatigue syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- higher body weight in children
… and this …
why additive-free is better:
additives like food coloring linked to …
- growth stunts
So, go … find your local farmers market. Don’t wait another week to put the healthiest, most nutritious foods in your kids’ bodies!