No, I’m not referring to just buying organic and/or recycled products, though that is an excellent thing to do! I am talking about a few other ways to green your shopping:
- Limit your trips. Go to the grocery store once a week (or less, if possible).
- Have several errands to run? Try to do them all at once and at stores that are in close proximity to one another.
- Take reusable bags with you! I cannot emphasize enough the importance of limiting the usage of plastic bags.
- Forgot your own bags? Don’t beat yourself up! Take those plastic bags to a plastic bag recycling location near you. (Find one!)
- And of course – buy local, organic and recycled!
Want cool reusable bags? You could make your own. Too busy for that? (Me too!) I’ve been using Envirosax that I bought on reusablebags.com. They’re cool looking and fairly inexpensive. I can fit a LOT of groceries in them! Matter of fact, all my groceries fit in my 5 bags. If I’m buying more than usual, I take along a basket for those bigger items.